back


Aberfeldy Former Congregational Church, Aberfeldy



Aberfeldy Photo: a fantastic Aberfeldy Photograph Featuring Former Congregational Church, Aberfeldy

Photograph Taken On Friday, January 10, 2020


By Matthews and Mackenzie, dated 1877; converted 2000 by GAIA Architects of Aberfeldy. Gothic-detailed church with octagonal spire; 4-bay aisleless nave; 3-stage tower and hall. Squared chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting sandstone ashlar dressings. Base and string courses. Hoodmoulds, raked cills and stone mullions; chamfered reveals to hall. Broad gabled bay to left with 3 bipartite windows to 1st stage and large hoodmoulded raised-centre tripartite above, glazed trefoil in cross-finialled gablehead. Tower in bay to right and low gabled hall set-back to outer right with square-headed windows, narrow window to left and taller bipartite to centre under pointed-arch stone detail. Engaged tower 1st stage with hoodmoulded, stop-chamfered doorway and plate glass fanlight, foundation stone close to ground at left, string course above giving way to 2nd stage with narrow light to S and E; reduced 3rd stage with tall hoodmoulded timber-louvered opening to each face, and splayed angles. Spire above with gabletted niche containing clock to S, and decorative cast-iron weathervane. Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. The foundation stone is inscribed as follows, "This stone was laid by the Hon Arthur Kinnaird MP and The Revd John Kennedy DD 28th August 1877". Rev Kennedy, born in Aberfeldy, was the so-called non-conformist Bishop of Stepney, London. In 1988 the church was sold to the community for £1 with the condition that it not be used for commercial gain. The initial conversion took place in 1989, with further work carried out in 2000 aided by Lottery funding. Architect James Matthews was assistant to Sir George Gilbert Scott and Alexander Mackenzie assistant to David Bryce. Built the year after Bryce’s death.View image on Flickr