back


Aberfeldy Former Free Church, Aberfeldy



Aberfeldy Photo: a fantastic Aberfeldy Photograph Featuring Former Free Church, Aberfeldy

Photograph Taken On Friday, January 10, 2020


By David Morris, 1907. Simple rectangular-plan gothic church with squat 2-stage tower and 4-bay ailseless nave. Squared and snecked chlorite-slate rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised base course, string course and cornice to tower; 2-stage sawtooth-coped angle buttresses. Broad gabled bay to left with lean-to porch with gabled doorpiece and arrowslit in gablehead to centre, single lights in flanking bays and further light to left return. Full-width traceried window to 2nd stage with taller 3-light window flanked by 2-light windows, all hoodmoulded; tiny paired blind arrowslit in stone-finialled gablehead. Tower with door giving way to 2 small square windows, and single window to S; string course over with narrow lights also to W and S surmounted by cornice and swept helm roof with decorative cast-iron finial. Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. The 1900 union of the Free and United Presbyterian congregations led to the formation of the United Free Church. Those from the original Free Church who opposed the union met in the Town Hall until the opening of this, their new church, on the 8th September 1907. The church was closed in the late 20th century. David Morris was a native of Echt in Aberdeenshire. He formed a brief partnership with John Leonard of Pitlochry between 1908 and 1911 with an office in Aberfeldy. He became the Dunecht Estate architect in the 1920s and 1930s.View image on Flickr

Aberfeldy media gallery

why not have a look at some of the Aberfeldy videos and photos, you may even spot yourself! As an ideal antidote to rainy days.
  Aberfeldy Restaurants Aberfeldy Pictures  Aberfeldy Restaurants Aberfeldy Videos