Bideford "MS Oldenburg" Bideford Quay 060820

Bideford Photo: a fantastic Bideford Photograph Featuring "MS Oldenburg" Bideford Quay 060820

Photograph Taken On Thursday, August 6, 2020

A second shot and this time we see the sharp end of the Lundy Island ferry/supply vessel “MS Oldenburg” moored up at Bideford Quay not long after she returned from the island. In the left background on the far side of the River Torridge we can see the lights of “East the Water” which is where Bideford Railway Station, now a Railway Heritage Centre, was situated. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet we find that the Oldenburg, which was launched in Bremen on 29th March 1958, is named after the former German grand duchy of Oldenburg. Later that same year she was delivered to Deutsche Bundesbahn for use on their ferry service between the mainland and the Frisian island of Wangerooge. Withdrawn from the route by 1975, she was subsequently acquired by the Lundy Company in November 1985 to replace the “MV Polar Bear” on the Bideford or Ilfracombe to Lundy route and after a refit at the locally based Appledore Shipyard entered service during May 1986. With the help of a Heritage Lottery Fund Grant, in 1999 the Oldenburg was upgraded and fitted with two new Cummins Diesel engines as well as other improvements which increased her capacity to 267 passengers.View image on Flickr

Bideford media gallery

why not have a look at some of the Bideford videos and photos, you may even spot yourself! As an ideal antidote to rainy days.
 Bideford Restaurants Bideford Pictures Bideford Restaurants Bideford Videos